I was hoping to have some success with ArrayLists today but I didn't. I finally have the waterfall code down but it goes backwards from past to present instead of present to past. It looks kinda neat this way, though. I also added colour! For me, working in HSB seems to be more closely related to my headspace than RGB, so if I need colour I am going to stick to that for now.
This sketch uses linear averages of FFT which are really easy to compute and set up but the result is less than pleasing. I think tomorrow I will play with the log function and see if I can get something a little closer to what I think it should look like.